In about six weeks, the Rausch Granite Co. of Big Stone City, SD will install an altar top, or mensa, in front of the crucifix in St. Mary’s Cemetery. The front part of the quartzite base surrounding the crucifix will be used as a pedestal for the mensa, which will be engraved with the traditional five Greek crosses symbolic of the five glorious wounds of Christ.
Having a proper altar for the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass will certainly encourage more celebrations of the Holy Mass (in the late spring, summer and early fall) in our beautiful cemetery. One possible date would be June 24, the Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist and the anniversary of Msgr. Weber’s ordination to the Holy Priesthood (June 24, 1893).
Special thanks to Mr. Mike Rausch and the Rausch Granite Co. for donating their time and skill in cutting, polishing and engraving the mensa. The other costs incurred (only around $600.00) are being divided between a generous parishioner and the Cemetery Board.
Directly in front of the crucifix is the grave of the Right Rev. Msgr. John Bernard Weber, P.A., third Pastor of St. Mary’s Parish (1897-1956).