Archive for the ‘Memorial Gifts to the Glory of God’ Category

Hanging Sanctuary Lamp Restored to Central Axis of our Church’s Sanctuary in Salem!

Friday, September 7th, 2012

Antique Sanctuary Lamp Given to the Glory and Honor of the Eucharistic Christ and in Loving Memory of Lois Hipschman

The late Lois Hipschman (October 26, 1938 – March 30, 2012) was taught as a child that one could always tell a Catholic church from a Protestant church by the Presence of the Lord Jesus in the tabernacle and because of the sanctuary lamp hanging in the center of the sanctuary.  As a youngster in 1946, when Msgr. Weber redecorated the church and removed the hanging lamp for the more convenient free-standing sanctuary lamp-stand, she was a little disappointed.  When she passed away in March, her family asked if they still made hanging sanctuary lamps and, if one was available, could they donate it and its installation in memory of Lois.  Well, the Pastor told them that they are still made….and, yes they could donate one in her memory.

The sanctuary lamp hanging in the center of our sanctuary is an antique, dating from 1890.  Now, well-over 60 years later, the sanctuary lamp again hangs in the center of our sanctuary, signifying (along with the tabernacle veil) the True Presence of Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.

Our Parish would like to thank Lois’ family for their donation, those who installed the lamp…and, of course, our dearly-departed sister, Lois: May the radiant light of Christ, like the light radiating from the sanctuary lamp, guide you to Heaven, the happy home of the saints and the place of eternal light.

Nota Bene:  In the last photos, you can see the fleur-de-lis finial at the base of the Sanctuary Lamp.  This finial arrived later, and was added just this past Saturday, September 1st.   For those who are interested, the Lamp is lowered and raised by way of an electric wench installed in the attic, with a key-operated control behind the Reredos of the Altar.  This electric device is designed to raise and lower large chandeliers one would find in large ball rooms or convention centers, thus avoiding the need for scaffolding each time the light bulbs needed to be replaced.

 

Statue of St. John the Baptist – The latest addition to St. Mary Church

Friday, August 17th, 2012

Johannistag…

…as the Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, June 24th, was commonly called in the native land of the 3rd and longest serving Pastor of our parish (1897-1956), Msgr. Bernard John Weber. June 24th was also the Feast chosen for his Ordination to the Holy Priesthood in the Year of Our Lord 1893. In preparation for the 120th anniversary of his Priestly Ordination next year, and in honor of the approaching Year of Faith called by our Holy Father (which begins this October), an admirer of our late but well remembered Pastor (who wishes to remain anonymous) donated a beautifully restored statue of St. John the Baptist to our church.  May this magnificent statue – which has been installed between the Holy Family Altar and the pulpit and portrays St. John pointing out the Lamb of God – serve as a reminder to the homilist of his duty to lead others to Christ. It will also serve as a reminder that all of us are called to a daily conversion of heart and mind through the Blood of the Lamb, Who takes away the sins of the world.

May the approaching Year of Faith, as well as the upcoming 120th Anniversary of Msgr. Weber’s Priestly Ordination, be an incentive for us to cooperate with God’s grace, grow in our love of the Catholic Faith and renew our commitment to participate in the life of our parish community.