How to obtain a plenary indulgence for the Holy Souls
Plenary Indulgences which may be obtained only for the holy souls in purgatory each day from November 1st through 8th
From November 1st through 8th: Visit a cemetery* and pray for the holy souls (visit each day, plenary indulgence each day!);
On November 2nd, All Souls’ Day: Visit a church or a public oratory and pray the Our Father and the Apostles’ Creed once.
A partial indulgence can be obtained any time by visiting a cemetery and praying for the holy souls. The following prayer is especially recommended:
Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescant in pace. Amen.
Eternal rest grant to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.
* Does not have to be a Catholic Cemetery: any cemetery will be sufficient.
Six general rules for obtaining a plenary indulgence:
- Be in a state of grace at least when performing the indulgenced act;
- Detachment from sin, even venial sin (a devout praying of the Act of Contrition helps us with this);
- Go to Confessions (About 8 days before or after the indulgenced act);
- Receive Our Lord in Holy Communion each day you intend to obtain a plenary indulgence;
- Pray for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff, Pope Francis; and
- Do the indulgenced act: a special good work with special conditions of place and time.
Plenary indulgences can be obtained only once a day, while one may obtain several partial indulgences on any given day. Indulgences may be gained for the holy souls in purgatory or for oneself personally, but never for another living person.